Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.x.x LTS whe…

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.x.x LTS when, it ships
Watch out for the changes in php causing some existing software to
suddenly generate zillions of error messages.
Certain things have been depreciated and unless the aplication software
you are using to have been upgraded
to support the new version of php you are going to his problems.
This caught me out with Gallery V2.x

I'm in the process of migrating all my customisations into the new one
just so that every call does not generate 50+ lines of verbage about the
use of depreciated calls. There are also changes to be made to php.ini
to use the old date format. There are quite a few rants on various web
forums about the lack of backwards compatibility in the latest major php
release for old versions.

Stephen D
{now I'll expect to get lots of flack saying I should use more recent
versions of my apps. Sorry, when you have a lot of valid customisations,
moving them to a new version and thouroughly testing it takes a lot of
time. My time. At the moment, this is not something I really want to
spend hours doing}