Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.x.x LTS whe…

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.x.x LTS when it ships
On 22/02/10 15:59, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:44:39 +0000, John Cooper <lug@???>
> wrote:
>> If you still want to proceed with Ubuntu, you really need to stay with
>> LTS versions as the upgrade will have been tested. Can you wait till
> April?
>
> The implication is that other upgrades are not supported, which is not
> correct. Upgrades between consecutive Ubuntu releases are supported and
> tested. Upgrades between consecutive LTS release are also supported and
> tested.
>
> So you can upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 any time between April 2010 and
> April 2011 and it be a supported operation between supported releases.
>
> Tony

That depends on what level of testing they do, and I'm sure the LTS to
LTS upgrade will be thoroughly tested (as it should be). The default
network upgrade is from non-LTS to next non-LTS and LTS to next LTS
version, therefore the number of people actually modifying their
settings to do a non-LTS to LTS is likely to be low. This activity is
just as important as Ubuntu's own in house testing.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk