Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...
2009/10/5 Vic <lug@???>:

> Hi All.
>
> I've upgraded my Kubuntu laptop. I was running 8.10 successfully. I
> upgraded to 9.04, but that crashed hard every few minutes, so I've now
> upgraded again to 9.10.
>
> It's taken me most of the day to sort out the .deb hell that
> update-manager left for me (which apt wouldn't sort out), but that now
> appears to be there. I can boot the machine into a KDE4 desktop only
> marginally less pretty than the one it replaced.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't use it. The machine is a total dog. Running top
> shows that Xorg is taking approx 75% of the CPU. Now this is only an old
> Athlon 1800+ machine, but that amount of grunt when the system is
> completely idle is a bit much...
>
> Does anyone know how to start tracking the problem down? This machine is
> going to end up being another Fedora beast if I can't get to the bottom of
> it :-(

There are bugs in some of the X drivers for karmic, 9.10.
I suggest you point your sources at the ppc cutting edge repository
for your particular graphics card.

I have been on 9.10 for a long time now, and CPU usage has gradually got better.
I don't really care for all the 3D gui stuff, so I generally use XFCE4
So, I think your 75% CPU is due to driver bugs, that are likely to be
fixed if you get the ppc repository.