[Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Hi All.

I've upgraded my Kubuntu laptop. I was running 8.10 successfully. I
upgraded to 9.04, but that crashed hard every few minutes, so I've now
upgraded again to 9.10.

It's taken me most of the day to sort out the .deb hell that
update-manager left for me (which apt wouldn't sort out), but that now
appears to be there. I can boot the machine into a KDE4 desktop only
marginally less pretty than the one it replaced.

Unfortunately, I can't use it. The machine is a total dog. Running top
shows that Xorg is taking approx 75% of the CPU. Now this is only an old
Athlon 1800+ machine, but that amount of grunt when the system is
completely idle is a bit much...

Does anyone know how to start tracking the problem down? This machine is
going to end up being another Fedora beast if I can't get to the bottom of
it :-(

Thanks!

Vic.