Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

>> Unfortunately, I can't use it. The machine is a total dog. Running top
>> shows that Xorg is taking approx 75% of the CPU. Now this is only an old
>> Athlon 1800+ machine, but that amount of grunt when the system is
>> completely idle is a bit much...
>>

> What video card does it have

It's an ATi Radeon - don't know exactly which one (the laptop is
downstairs & turned off, and it's a bit late to play games with it at the
moment).

> and which driver?

ati.

> Does it have desktop
> compositing switched on, whatever kde call their 'thing'?

Errr - I'm not really sure. Finding my way around KDE4 is proving somewhat
tricky...

Transparency is turned on, wobbly windows etc. is turned off. The general
appearance is pretty much identical to what worked well in Kubuntu 8.10.

Note that I can't see any difference in loading whether I'm doing anything
or not...

Vic.