Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Alan Pope
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...
Hi Vic,

I suspect you have the kde default compositor turned on and are using
a low/poor quality 3d driver, but that's just a hunch.

2009/10/6 Vic <lug@???>:
>> What video card does it have
>
> It's an ATi Radeon - don't know exactly which one (the laptop is
> downstairs & turned off, and it's a bit late to play games with it at the
> moment).

Sadly I know little about ATI cards having never owned one, sorry. I'd
probably start here though:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

>> Does it have desktop
>> compositing switched on, whatever kde call their 'thing'?
>
> Errr - I'm not really sure. Finding my way around KDE4 is proving somewhat
> tricky...

Yes, I didn't realise when I played with KDE4 that it has its own
built in compositor, separate to compiz. It's switched on somewhere
obvious in the System Settings doofer (sorry, I don't use KDE any more
so can't recall exactly). This thread is interesting:-

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=26878

Cheers,
Al.