Re: [Hampshire] xorg defaults on MPC-L

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] xorg defaults on MPC-L
2009/10/5 Simon Reap <simon@???>:
> I am running my lovely new Viglen MPC-L (yes, the UKUbuntu
> podcast offer is still available!) as a headless home server.
>
> I do have a couple of things I need to work on.
>
> One is that if I boot without a screen attached, the graphical
> display defaults to 640x480 and, I think, 16 colours (certainly
> not many). Trouble is, I want to run x11vnc on the server, and
> run the display from another PC.  I want it to default to, for
> example, 1280x1024 and millions of colours.  I know the graphics
> card can do it, because that's what I get if I *do* have a screen
> attached when I boot.  Does anyone know what I need to set, and
> where, to change the default?
>
> This is on xubuntu 8.04 (which is what the MPC came with), but I
> have the same problem on a debian sid server at work - on that one I
> normally run it headless, but sometimes (i.e. when I accidentally
> leave my work laptop at home), I want to plug in a real screen and
> see a reasonable resolution.

Have a look for EDID. This is the info that xorg gets from the
monitor. You should be able to extract it manually, and there are
tools to create the correct file for it. Then you can add an option to
your config file for x that uses this information. It was some time
ago that I was playing with this, but I know EDID is one option open
to you.

Regards,
--
Philip Stubbs