[Hampshire] xorg defaults on MPC-L

Author: Simon Reap
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] xorg defaults on MPC-L
I am running my lovely new Viglen MPC-L (yes, the UKUbuntu
podcast offer is still available!) as a headless home server.

I do have a couple of things I need to work on.

One is that if I boot without a screen attached, the graphical
display defaults to 640x480 and, I think, 16 colours (certainly
not many). Trouble is, I want to run x11vnc on the server, and
run the display from another PC. I want it to default to, for
example, 1280x1024 and millions of colours. I know the graphics
card can do it, because that's what I get if I *do* have a screen
attached when I boot. Does anyone know what I need to set, and
where, to change the default?

This is on xubuntu 8.04 (which is what the MPC came with), but I
have the same problem on a debian sid server at work - on that one I
normally run it headless, but sometimes (i.e. when I accidentally
leave my work laptop at home), I want to plug in a real screen and
see a reasonable resolution.

The other problem I have is the power-on behaviour. As a headless home
system monitor/controller (with the CC128 plugged in, if I solve this
problem), it would be great if the machine turned itself on after a
power cut (like we had last Sunday morning). At the moment it stays off
until I press the power button. Has anyone found a way to get it to
turn on in those circumstances, as they have for the Slug (on page
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn)?

Thanks in advance!
Simon