[Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux
hi all,
I went to the PC world located opposite the southampton central
railway station today to buy a pen drive .

This is my first time inside such a big computer shop hence was
surprised to see separate section for anti virus software,office and
other softwares like graphics education .

I wanted to buy a small cheap netbook as a gift hence went to the
sections to see that there is no separate section for netbook which
was shocking ! I assumed that such a big shop like PC world would
have a seperate netbook section hence went and asked the employee he
told that was it .
Here is a small chat with him :
Me : Do you sell cheap netbooks
Emp: How cheap ?
Me: The cheapest you can
Emp: The cheapest we sell is 230 £
Me ( opened my mouth wide ) you kidding right ?
Emp: No thats the cheapest we sell !
Me: I have seen amazon selling netbooks for 120 -150 £
Emp : Bu they don't have windows !
Me : So what you dont sell a product if it doesnt have windows
Emp: No you cant use linux .. and you cant download anything in linux
/Me was boiling but dont want to scarte the poor PC world employee
Me: Linux is pretty usable . please do sell it .
Emp: even if we sell it no one is going to buy it
Me : Asus has completely tied up with M$ now even big shops like PC
world are doing this . Please go read the guardian article on M$
hijacking the netbook market .

That employee didn't have anything to tell he just slipped away LOL
I bought my 8 GB pen drive for 13 £ and left the PC world singing " I
am a PC and I use linux :D "

Disclaimer: PC world might have been doing this for long time . This
is the first time I ever set foot in a big computer shop . I know that
I can buy cheap netbooks online but I would like to touch and feel it
on a shop before buying .

Regards,
Pavithran
--