Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
Hi Stuart,

2009/8/2 Stuart Matheson <stuart.j.matheson@???>:
> What can people recommend for this (unit and remote)? It doesn't necessary
> have to be brand new so 2nd hand laptops/refurbished PCs aren't out of the
> question. Like most people (or in her case, public servants) she is pretty
> skint so the cheaper the better.

I just bought one of these:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161260

..to sit under the telly.

Vitals include 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU and Nvidia ION GPU (9400 equiv
roughly), silent operation (unless you put your ear right up to it),
6xUSB, eSata, VGA, HDMI, ethernet, wifi, memory card slot, headphones
and mic. It can supposedly playback 1080p video, but I've not got to
that bit yet, having just finished installing Ubuntu on it :)

My choices now are Boxee, MythTV and XBMC. All of which should provide
me with an easy to use interface for watching recorded programmes and
iplayer on the telly in the lounge. The one thing I don't have yet is
a remote control, but I hear that's easy to resolve with a Microsoft
Media Centre remote control.

Cheers,
Al.