Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
2009/8/2 Stuart Matheson <stuart.j.matheson@???>:

> My girlfriend is moving out of her current splace and will no longer have
> access to the expert she had there (ie someone with an xbox with xbmc). I'm
> looking for a quiet multimedia PC that can be plugged into a TV for watching
> iplayer, youtube and other online video as well as video files and possibly
> a dvd (I have an external dvd player she could use though so it isn't a deal
> breaker). She said the xbox was quite noisy though so she'd like something
> quiet. Something that shouldn't have much trouble running something like
> xbmc (which she is familiar with, or any other easy to use program) and can
> connect to a SD tv would be great. A remote will also likely be required. An
> internal or external HDD would be fine as I have one spare. She is also
> interested in wii fit so a nintendo might be an option, but I have no idea
> if it would fit the bill in regards to the other requirements.

Hi ,
Buy a CPU with a nice TV tuner card and good graphic card .
Install http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center and enjoy :D

Yes I am suggesting someone to use a proprietary software in a linux
list but I am afraid that there is no *viable* FOSS alternative :(

This is because of many reasons :
* Bad Hardware vendors who don't write free drivers .
*Many proprietary video formats
*lack of video standards ( Yes MPEG is a ISO standard but mp3,divx thrive )
etc etc etc

Since you are installing it for a non tech user you better give a
software which even if updated wont ever break . Yes GNU/Linux updates
are great but when it comes to some proprietary
driver/software/plugin/hack updates tend to break more often .

All the best and do inform us how it goes .

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri