Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
On 08/03/2009 10:31 AM, John Wesley wrote:
> 2009/8/2 Stuart Matheson <stuart.j.matheson@???
> <mailto:stuart.j.matheson@gmail.com>>
>
>     Hi Everyone,

>     I did a quick search of the HantsLUG list and couldn't find
>     anything appropriate so please let me know if I've missed something.

>     My girlfriend is moving out of her current splace and will no
>     longer have access to the expert she had there (ie someone with an
>     xbox with xbmc). I'm looking for a quiet multimedia PC that can be
>     plugged into a TV for watching iplayer, youtube and other online
>     video as well as video files and possibly a dvd (I have an
>     external dvd player she could use though so it isn't a deal
>     breaker). She said the xbox was quite noisy though so she'd like
>     something quiet. Something that shouldn't have much trouble
>     running something like xbmc (which she is familiar with, or any
>     other easy to use program) and can connect to a SD tv would be
>     great. A remote will also likely be required. An internal or
>     external HDD would be fine as I have one spare. She is also
>     interested in wii fit so a nintendo might be an option, but I have
>     no idea if it would fit the bill in regards to the other requirements.

>     What can people recommend for this (unit and remote)? It doesn't
>     necessary have to be brand new so 2nd hand laptops/refurbished PCs
>     aren't out of the question. Like most people (or in her case,
>     public servants) she is pretty skint so the cheaper the better.

>     All suggestions welcome :)

>     Cheers,

>     Stuart

>     --
>     Please post to: Hampshire@???
>     <mailto:Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>

> I spec'd up something that does this (and is intended to be a PVR too)
> over the weekend, though it's probably overkill for what you really want:
>
> motherboard: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11471 (£140)
> case: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12418 (£50)
> hard drive: http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=105&pp=100,105
> <http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=105&pp=100,105> (£100)
> keyboard:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920-00586-diNovo-Mini/dp/B0012NIYSO (£90)
> memory: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11106 (£15)
>
> tv card:
> http://www.dabs.com/products/hauppauge-wintv-nova-t-digital-dvb-t-usb-stick-42PG.html
> (£30) -- probably not required for this
>
> Install Mythbuntu and you're done
>
> ta
>
> jonh (trying desperately to ignore the WMC flamewar)

Or if you don't want to build it yourself:

http://www.svp.co.uk/systems-pcs/value/pc-asrock-ion-330-pc-system-no-os-black_mte-01011.html

Dual core ion system, tiny case, from all reports it is silent in
operation. Uses NVIDIA's ION platform so you can run VDPAU to offload
all the graphics load for high def content (1080p). It is dual core so
should be reasonably OK for you tube content etc.

For remote the easiest to get working is probably the MCE version 2 remote:

You need the one that looks like this, I couldn't find a shop I know
that sells them on-line

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=mce+remote&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=7426765364015426615&sa=title#p

The USB tv card linked by John works for me, but I have a friend who
runs one any has a world of pain with kernel and usb issues.

http://www.dabs.com/products/hauppauge-wintv-nova-t-digital-dvb-t-usb-stick-42PG.html