Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer As…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer Aspire One
Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 July 2009 17:00:25 Sean Gibbins wrote:
>
>> These machines are primarily designed to be single-user devices, and as
>> such once you are past the front door (which you can elect to lock)
>>

> Only if you know what you are doing. It is not an option that I was offered.
> It just went straight in.
>
> And the single user argument is why I quite often have the user able to get in
> as user without a password. But I never give access to system administration
> without a password.
>
> This machine is designed to be used on the net. It is called a netbook, and
> is well supplied with the physical means. And such poor security is feeding
> the argument that Linux is not really more secure than Windows, just less
> common; as well as, IMHO, giving poor service to its users.
>
> Still, come the end of August, I shall wave Linpus goodbye, at least
> temporarily, and install something else. And it is quite impressive the way
> everything (except security!) Just Works.

Well, that really is the crux of it in my opinion - instant usability
(for the masses) over security.

As soon as you start smartening things up and locking things down you
start to build in a requirement for your users to have a clue, which it
would appear is not sexy or good for sales - see Windows vs. Linux
generally and Windows ousting Linux in the netbook market.

Most people want to tear open the box and get online within minutes of
getting home, and security barely registers for most of them, I would
guess. Manufacturers will produce the goods that appeal to the folks
with the money at the lowest manufacturing cost, and I suspect for most
of them Linux was a way of shaving a few quid off the cost of the
product and getting to a new market rather than a crusade for better,
more secure operating systems. As I say, you just need to look at how
many Netbooks are now supplied with XP to see what they really thought
of Linux.

Anyway, back on topic, there are some nice alternatives to Linpus Lite
out there, although that said my son has never felt the urge to change
and has yet to fall foul of any mishaps resulting from the relative lack
of security, so it can't be all bad.

Look on the bright side, at least you know that there are interesting
and good alternatives out there, and are savvy enough to make the change!

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk