Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer As…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer Aspire One
On Tuesday 14 July 2009 17:00:25 Sean Gibbins wrote:
> These machines are primarily designed to be  single-user devices, and as
> such once you are past the front door (which you can elect to lock)

Only if you know what you are doing. It is not an option that I was offered.
It just went straight in.

And the single user argument is why I quite often have the user able to get in
as user without a password. But I never give access to system administration
without a password.

This machine is designed to be used on the net. It is called a netbook, and
is well supplied with the physical means. And such poor security is feeding
the argument that Linux is not really more secure than Windows, just less
common; as well as, IMHO, giving poor service to its users.

Still, come the end of August, I shall wave Linpus goodbye, at least
temporarily, and install something else. And it is quite impressive the way
everything (except security!) Just Works.

Lisi