Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57c85100.hantslug.org.uk.22259': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jul 12 22:21:42 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:06:15PM +0100, Tim wrote:
> Yes I have done that and everything is up and running bar one small problem,
> which has re-ignited my distaste of SUDO. I have copied some files from CD to a
> directory which is owned by root (its a linux version of a windows games that
> requires some of the original windows data files). When I try to run the game
> from the cli, it tells me that it can't find sample.cat Well sample.cat is
> there but it is spelt SAMPLE.CAT so I am trying to rename SAMPLE.CAT to
> sample.cat (there are other files I will probably need to rename but I need to
> get past this one first). I tried
>
> $ sudo rename .CAT .cat *cat (per numerous suggestion on sites on the net)
>
> but I get
>
> syntax error at (eval 1) line 1, near "."
>
> What the hell does that means?

This isn't a sudo problem.

I suspect that you've fallen foul of the difference between the
"rename" command shipped by Debian/Ubuntu and the "rename" command
shipped by Red Hat/Fedora, and that you've found a manual that talks
about the latter. The two programs are utterly different in the way
that they work.

From the Debian rename(1) man page:

"
To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use

               rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *
"

> ok so I will rename the files through the GUI,
> but I can't as I can't launch any GUI as root or find a way to become root
> inside the gui

That's not a failing of sudo -- you'd have the same problem if you
did all of the above as root.

Hugo.

           --- There are three mistaiks in this sentance. ---