Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question
On Sunday 12 July 2009 21:41:30 Graeme Hilton wrote:
> 2009/7/12 Tim <xendistar@???>:
> > Thanks for the advice Al, as it is I am having to do reinstall as I broke
> > Xorg. I tried installing the ATI fgxlr drivers, then when I rebooted the
> > gui bombed, I made a few attempts to recover the desktop with out luck, I
> > decided what with the problem with the accounts as well that I would do a
> > complete reinstall.
>
> On the reinstall you should create the first user as yourself and then
> after the install completes create an account for your son. Only the
> first account gets the automatic admin rights (I think).
>
> --
> Graeme Hilton

Hi Graeme

Yes I have done that and everything is up and running bar one small problem,
which has re-ignited my distaste of SUDO. I have copied some files from CD to a
directory which is owned by root (its a linux version of a windows games that
requires some of the original windows data files). When I try to run the game
from the cli, it tells me that it can't find sample.cat Well sample.cat is
there but it is spelt SAMPLE.CAT so I am trying to rename SAMPLE.CAT to
sample.cat (there are other files I will probably need to rename but I need to
get past this one first). I tried

$ sudo rename .CAT .cat *cat (per numerous suggestion on sites on the net)

but I get

syntax error at (eval 1) line 1, near "."

What the hell does that means? ok so I will rename the files through the GUI,
but I can't as I can't launch any GUI as root or find a way to become root
inside the gui

Can anybody explain??

Tim