Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question
2009/7/12 Tim <xendistar@???>:
> requires some of the original windows data files). When I try to run the game
> from the cli, it tells me that it can't find sample.cat Well sample.cat is
> there but it is spelt SAMPLE.CAT so I am trying to rename SAMPLE.CAT to
> sample.cat (there are other files I will probably need to rename but I need to
> get past this one first). I tried

How did you copy the files? using cp?

I did something similar the other day, copied some files and the case
of them got mangled by the cp command. There's probably a switch I was
missing. Anyway, I used the standard graphical file manager to copy
the files and the case was fine.

So you could either find out the cp parameter to copy with the right
case (there may be more than one file that needs renaming) or just use
nautilus:-

ALT+F2, gksudo nautilus

^^ That will give you a file browser as root - but of course be
careful with it. You can then copy the files by simply dragging and
dropping from the Windows CD to their root-owned destination.

Cheers,
Al.