Re: [Hampshire] Google Chrome OS..?

Top Page
Author: The Holy ettlz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Google Chrome OS..?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x576fa100.hantslug.org.uk.30184': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jul 9 12:07:48 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 09:14 +0100, john lewis wrote:
> I cannot believe they have written a new OS from scratch, it has to
> be a clone of one of the existing Linux systems if they are going to
> release as GPL eventually.
>
> In which case I cannot see the point of doing it.

Personally, I don't care much for Chrome OS per se, but I do look
forward to any benefits and improved hardware support that we see
finding its way back into the mainline kernel. I just hope Google uses
any leverage it has to make hardware developers release specs and make
their kit compliant with those specs (not mired in a truckload of bugs
or 50 pages of incomplete errata that miss out on the biggest
braindeadnesses that the developers have to work around the hard way).
In particular, I hope it'll make those persistent off-vendors of broken
ACPI tables clean up their act.

And, no, commitments to developing kernel shims and binary-only drivers
will not be good enough.

James

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz@???