Re: [Hampshire] Konsole

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Konsole
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 at 10:31:54AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> Until a short time ago Konsole had options in the File menu for a "Root
> tab" and a "Root MC tab" in addition to New tab and New Window. A
> recent update removed the two 'Root' options, I suspect a bit of
> ubuntization at work.

Which version of Konsole/KDE do you have?

KDE4 radically changed Konsole and "Root Konsole" went away on my
Debian system - nothing to do with Ubuntu as far as I'm aware.

To create a new "Root Konsole" you probably need to create a new
Konsole profile that executes the correct command. I've done this
for SSH sessions but I don't use a root konsole so I've not done
that.

> I have got used to using Konsole and would like to have those
> two options available. I have tried editing the konsoleui.rc in
> ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole but all I succeeded in doing was to end up
> with no options in the File menu, not at all what I intended ;-(

Hacking this file is probably not a good idea.

> So if there is anyone out there still using an old version of Konsole
> that allows those two 'Root' tab options would they send me a copy of
> the relevant konsoleui.rc file please.

If you are on KDE4 then the old KDE3 config files are not going to
help a great deal...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"There seems to be something wrong with our ships today"
    -- Rear-admiral Sir David Beatty, on seeing the Queen Mary
        and the Indefatigable destroyed at the Battle of Jutland