Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing
On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 23:50 +0100, pavithran wrote:
> 2009/6/14 Phillip Chandler <phillip.chandler@???>:
> > On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 13:58 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
> >
> > As an MS user, O/S and software, I can tell you, hand on heart and my £20 in the pot,
> > that OO is more bloated than MS Office, so quit trying to con me that its not, Ive done the
> > homework on my machine, and if needed can come along and demonstrate.
> > The lot of you can sprout your big fancy dictionary rubbish all day.
> >
> > Heres what you do. Go into synaptic, select all of the OO progs, and
> > just see the total MB at the bottom that your system is going to remove.
> > I can tell you that MS Office is, at worst, only 2/3 the size.
> >

> How really cares about 20 -100 MB difference these days ? Can't you
> afford a 20 GB hard disk :P

I do, when I have a 30 gig HDD, and I have to listen to the Debian
mentality of "Use xyz or pee off back to windows.", Ive had this from a
diehard.

> > I had my watch counting the seconds that it took to load OO writer, then
> > did the same with MS Word under Crossover, and it was definitely more
> > than 5 seconds, which might not sound a lot, but its the fact.
> >
> Please use windows. There is no future for crossover or wine . Both of
> them will break the machines. We dont want people complaining my so
> and so game crashed the system .. ubuntu sucks .. WTF

Why should I use windows ? Crossover works great for me !

> > But not everyone
> > has the latest and greatest hardware, and sure dont have the obvious
> > funds that you may have to upgrade. Freedom of choice only works so far,
> > XP Office works faster and better for me under linux, than OO.
> >
> FYI I come from India (3rd world :P ).. and many of us are happily
> using Open Office . I am also glad to say that many corporates are
> removing MS office since OO satisfies their basic needs .
> > expected to use it with linux. Debian users might think that "Real Linux
> > Users use FOSS, and nothing else", but I dont.
> Agree , After all it's your machine , time and resources and finally
> its you who has to gain from the productivity the machine gives .
> I also agree that OO has long way to go . Let's help OO and I wish all
> of us post feature requests and file bugs to the Quality assurance
> team .
>
> My small opinion on OO: Here is a project which is trying to mimic a
> M$ product which is closed. How do you expect .doc or .docx files to
> work perfectly ? But still OO is trying to do its level best . Be
> happy that you are freely (cost and freedom) able to open a
> propreitary standard doc,ppt etc and are able to edit it (not
> perfectly) and save it in the same format,export to free formats like
> ODP and other formats like PDF,HTML etc .
>
> As LUG people it's our duty to spread the usage of Open documents (ODP
> ) . Also provide a PDF file for non - OO users as non-OO users dont
> deserve to edit the file :P
>
> > If I want a stable, secure system with dvd playback and an office that I
> > dont have to scratch waiting for it to load, and I have to pay whatever
> > to get that, then I will willingly pay for the privilege. But then a
> > system is only as secure as the competence of the end user.
>
> >> By trying to improve this they need our help. Your comments will prevent
> >> people even trying open office as it is not as bad as you make out. OO
> >> is at v3, MS office is v10 (or 11?). It will improve the more people and
> >> companies use it, but it is far from crap.
> >>
> Guys please stop crying over the list . Start complaining and file
> bugs. The open office quality assurance team needs you desparately .
> If you really care about Free as in Freedom .. and if you want things
> to improve in free software go to
> http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/project_issues.html
>
> > This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
> > solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
> May be confidential ? LOL dude you are posting to a *mailing list* :P
> And please use short footers.
> Regards,
> Pavithran
>
> --
> pavithran sakamuri
> www.pavithran.org
> Disclaimer : just for this mail .. M$ I am doing negative promotion
> don't sue me.. this is Europe . Your stupid jurisdiction is in America
> [...]

Phillip Chandler
phillip.chandler@???
Mobile : 07948 342882
Voip : 01635 767075

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company the sender represents.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments,
you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them
to anyone.

error.