Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing
On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 13:58 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
> Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> > Hello,

> >> No,it isn't.
> >
> > Yes it is. An assertion is: "Something declared or stated positively,
> > often with no support or attempt at proof." Show me the support or
> > attempt at proof in your original statement and I will retract my
> > claim that it is 'just' an assertion.
> >

> This is not a thesis and some things are obvious and don't need proving
> to LUG users. OO is well used and we all know what it is. So is star
> office. You are completely aware of that so stop playing childish word
> games.
>

> >> Documents created in OO don't crash.
> >
> > Yes they do. Categorically. I have concrete experience of exactly
> > this problem with small to medium sized spreadsheets that were created
> > in oocalc crashing, causing the system to hang, and taking 20 minutes
> > to recover from a crash or open in the first place. This is using a
> > wide range of releases and versions including Debian Stable, CentOS,
> > and the current release running under OSX.
>
> Are you talking about the current version 3? I'm sure would it still
> recovered the document, which may cause some concern, but at least you
> could carry on working.
>

> >> I'm sure Mac software has similar problems with MS office docs.
> >
> > Probably. But that wasn't my concern.
> >
> >> The other issue is user familiarity of MS office. Just because OO
> >> doesn't exactly mirror MS office doesn't mean it is crap.
> >
> > Straw man. When did I claim that? As a person who makes a living out
> > of recommending and migrating people to services built around open
> > source software, you may assume I understand that software isn't crap
> > because it is not an exact clone of some other iece of software
> > someone else uses.
>
> Did I say you claimed that? I was making a point about MS users having
> no patience with alternatives. They seem to forget all the previous
> bloated, bugged MS software they had to live with in the past.

As an MS user, O/S and software, I can tell you, hand on heart and my £20 in the pot,
that OO is more bloated than MS Office, so quit trying to con me that its not, Ive done the
homework on my machine, and if needed can come along and demonstrate.
The lot of you can sprout your big fancy dictionary rubbish all day.

Heres what you do. Go into synaptic, select all of the OO progs, and
just see the total MB at the bottom that your system is going to remove.
I can tell you that MS Office is, at worst, only 2/3 the size.

I had my watch counting the seconds that it took to load OO writer, then
did the same with MS Word under Crossover, and it was definitely more
than 5 seconds, which might not sound a lot, but its the fact.

As I said before, you with your nice, shiney new dual core, 2.6ghz speed
with 4 gig ram and a 500mb HDD, or what ever it is that you have, may
not be bothered about the shear size of OO compared to MS Office XP,
they may be just as quick to load on your nice machine. But not everyone
has the latest and greatest hardware, and sure dont have the obvious
funds that you may have to upgrade. Freedom of choice only works so far,
XP Office works faster and better for me under linux, than OO.

But I can agree with you on one point, whole heartedly, 100%. I dont
have patience for alternatives. Im sure not going to go with a naff
product, free or otherwise, thats bloated and slow, just because Im
expected to use it with linux. Debian users might think that "Real Linux
Users use FOSS, and nothing else", but I dont.

If I want a stable, secure system with dvd playback and an office that I
dont have to scratch waiting for it to load, and I have to pay whatever
to get that, then I will willingly pay for the privilege. But then a
system is only as secure as the competence of the end user.

> > Let me restate: Openoffice is bloated and unstable. I discussed this
> > with some of the project leads at Fosdem, and all they could do was
> > look sheepish and nod and say "we're trying to improve things".
>
> By trying to improve this they need our help. Your comments will prevent
> people even trying open office as it is not as bad as you make out. OO
> is at v3, MS office is v10 (or 11?). It will improve the more people and
> companies use it, but it is far from crap.
>

> --
> Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
> http://discoverlinux.co.uk

Phillip Chandler
phillip.chandler@???
Mobile : 07948 342882
Voip : 01635 767075

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company the sender represents.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments,
you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them
to anyone.

error.