Re: [Hampshire] Ergo Microlite xl 1.4Ghz

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ergo Microlite xl 1.4Ghz
On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 21:43 +0000, Paul Stimpson wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> Did you mean 7.10 (Gutsy) or 8.10 (Intrepid)? Things have moved on a long way since Gutsy and Intrepid wasn't one of Ubuntu's high points IMHO.
>
> I would download 9.04 (Jaunty) which IMO is a lot better than 8.10 before writing off the hardware as non-friendly. If you don't have any joy I would try adding one of more of "noapic", "nolapic" and "noacpi" to the boot options and see if those help.
>
> Has the machine got the latest BIOS?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul.

The funny thing here is that I used 8.0.4 which wouldnt connect to my
wireless (wpa), had to use ndiswrapper for the drivers, but I still had
grief with trying to connect.
9.04 found my wireless card and wouldnt connect, but was really slow on
my machine (Dell Inspiron 1.2 with 512mb ram).

Im now using Debian 5.0.1 which natively found my wireless card and
actually got upset, because I told it off for connecting to my wireless
within 3 seconds. The only problem I have with Debian is xorg crashes,
but thats another story.

But back to the other laptop. I got it from Freecycle, I traded other
computer gear for it. The local school upgraded and had 3 to get rid of.
This was the fastest and the only one with memory. A local computer chap
recycles gear from companies / schools who wish to have their gear
reused rather than dumped in the ground.

Ive tried other ISO images ranging from Mandriva 2008, Debian 5, Ubuntu
8.04 and none seem to want to boot and do anything.

I'll try Ubuntu 9.04 and see if thats happy with the laptop.