Re: [Hampshire] Router secuity alerts

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Router secuity alerts
Brad Rogers <brad@???> wrote:
> As Andy implies, if you're assigned a dynamic
> IP, that would explain it. AIUI, IPs can be
> re-assigned "on the fly", so even without a
> reboot at your end, the IP could change.

To force the assignment of a new IP address, the
ISP would have to kick the PPP session. Most
routers will re-establish automatically, and pick
up the new address.

If the end-user isn't using the connection
heavily, they may not notice.

> Having had a static IP for years, I don't have
> such issues, of course.

Oh, but you could...

Quick change to RADIUS attributes, kick PPP,
router re-establishes with new static address.

It's considered bad form to do that without
informing the end-user, of course. However, it's
sometimes necessary - during a DDoS, for example.
ISP can't block the source, so drops based on
destination, then punts end-user onto a new IP so
that they still have Net access.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.