Re: [Hampshire] Favourite terminal fonts

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Favourite terminal fonts

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x585b1100.hantslug.org.uk.24110': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun May 3 15:51:06 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Saturday 02 May 2009, Graham Bleach wrote:
> I've just upgraded to Ubuntu Jaunty on the home desktop and the terminal
> font I was using in gnome terminal appears to have changed (I think it
> may have reverted to using the default font).
>
> I spend a great deal of time looking at terminal windows and there are
> few things more offensive to the eye than a font that isn't quite right.
> None of the fonts I have found are quite what I want. I need a
> monospaced font which is sharp, but not spindly at 10 or 11 pt sizes.
>
> I have tried all the fonts available in the default install of Ubuntu,
> plus Terminus and Inconsolata. The Terminus letters aren't rounded
> enough for me and I find Inconsolata very blurry at size 11, which is my
> preferred size for this font.
>
> Can anyone recommend something that matches my requirements? Which font
> do you use?

It's a question with no good single answer. There are lots of decent
monospaced fonts suitable for terminal usage.

Some people like truetype(opentype) technology, so prefer postscript, many
still swear by bitmapped (especially at small sizes). It's a poll question I
asked on the DA.org web site ages ago, with some interesting discussion that
followed.

http://www.debian-administration.org/polls/121

At the moment I use anonymous and the very similar Monaco most of the time.
They are a bit wider than other fonts of the same height, but I like their
appearance. Fonts are very personal.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

My organ doesn't work properly and emits strange burning smells
    -- seen on Usenet