Re: [Hampshire] Favourite terminal fonts

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Favourite terminal fonts

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x585b7100.hantslug.org.uk.27355': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat May 2 21:40:57 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 08:54:01PM +0100, Graham Bleach wrote:
> I've just upgraded to Ubuntu Jaunty on the home desktop and the terminal
> font I was using in gnome terminal appears to have changed (I think it
> may have reverted to using the default font).
>
> I spend a great deal of time looking at terminal windows and there are
> few things more offensive to the eye than a font that isn't quite right.
> None of the fonts I have found are quite what I want. I need a
> monospaced font which is sharp, but not spindly at 10 or 11 pt sizes.
>
> Can anyone recommend something that matches my requirements? Which font
> do you use?

A bit small for you, but my recommendation is the old bitmap font,
Fixed, at 9 point. It's the only font I can bear to use for terminals.
Every single other monospaced font I've ever met is too fat and squat
for my eyes.

You will have to tweak fontconfig to make it show bitmap fonts,
though: Remove /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf and run
dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig.

Hugo.

                      --- make bzImage, not war ---