Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday humor...

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday humor...
2009/4/17 Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:
> Hugo Mills wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 03:38:04PM +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
>>
>>> However, I do believe there's an unwritten rule between flat pack
>>> manufacturers that states any screws supplied with a given unit are to
>>> be made from processed cheese. I can't believe I'm /that/ incompetent!
>>>

>>    Of course, in the great old days of British engineering, screws in
>> flatpack furniture used to be made of proper Stilton...
>
> True story: a friend of a friend* got his flat-pack sideboard home one
> weekend and set about constructing it.
>
> After a few hours of struggling to make something not even closely
> resembling the photograph on the front of the box, he simply took it out
> in the garden and smashed it to pieces with an axe.
>
> He is a legend in our house.

A friend of mine bought his first flat. A few weeks later he had
bought some new furniture. Some days later, I made the mistake of
asking how it was going. Next thing I knew, I was round his place
trying to put a wardrobe together. As I was trying to figure out what
was what from the part assembled monster on the floor, one thing
became very clear. "James, have you kicked this?" He didn't need to
answer that question. :-)

What does annoy me is that the screws in a flat pack kit often have
different heads on. The will probably all be cross heads but some will
be Phillips, and others will be Pozidrive. It would help if everybody
would just use Torx.

--
Philip Stubbs