Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle onto 64-bit Ubuntu
2009/4/7 James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???>:
> 2009/4/4 Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???>:
>> Hi, this is a freshly downloaded x86_64 installation of Ubuntu Server 8.04LTS.

..
>> However, Oracle only certify this for Red Hat and Suse, not Debian or Ubuntu.

> Apart from my pet hate that the oracle install needs a GUI.

[nods] ohh, yess... and a flippin' java based one at that. A while
back around the time of Oracle 9 that was a _real_ pain to get going.

> If you are paying god know how much for the oracle license, won't a
> switch to using Suse be relatively minor?

Sure, a $US 350 per year Red Hat Ent subscription is peanuts compared
to how much the time costs that one can spend on this game. (Currently
I have the 30 day free "trial" to get going with)

TBH I was mainly trying the Ubuntu route because I have a preference
for working with Ubuntu nowadays and wanted to see if I could do this,
and would feel more at home looking after the box. I have not had to
have much to do with RH for a few years now and coming back to it
is... (Red Hat Server! Gnome desktop! Log in as root!) weird... And
wading through all the Enterprise-speak on the RH site is just - well
a bit tacky. It's consistent with Oracle I suppose.

But it does mean that the Oracle version should install relatively
cleanly on the OS, and the OS should install relatively cleanly on the
hardware (that's another story for another post).

I have had to divert today onto other tasks so won't be back on this
one till later. But thanks to all, especially Tony, for comments &
suggestions.