Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle onto 64-bit Ubuntu
2009/4/5 <tony.lambert@???>:
> Hello Victor
>
> I managed to turn up something from MetaLink for you - someone had the
> exact same error as yourself on RH.
> Turns out they didn't have the 32bit version of glibc-devel installed, and
> this fixed their issue.
> Apparently it's an undocumented requirement - Oracle are very good at
> those.
>
> Regards - Tony

Hello Tony,
Thanks for the info -I wish I had checked my mail last night... I was
just deciding at that point that the sensible way to go would be with
a Red Hat install, both for level of manufacturer support and for PHB
credibility. And I have just wiped Ubuntu off the machine in readiness
for putting RH on it ;-(
BUT having seen your encouraging post I am going to keep a wee spare
partition with a new U64 install on it just to experiment with this
issue! Software brings out a stubborn streak in me sometimes...

Agree with you about oracle. Their installation processes have always
been breathtaking in the arrogance of the assumptions they make, IME.