Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle onto 64-bit Ubuntu
Victor Churchill wrote:

> No flame war here please, but I would prefer to install it to Ubuntu
> on the principle of 'if it's you administering it, install what you're
> familiar with', which is 'buntu in my case. I have not done anything
> with rpm-based systems for years and apt-* comes more naturally to me
> nowadays. But I am starting to wonder if going to RH may be the only
> option left. That seems to be the way some of the rest of the internet
> has gone.

Hi Victor,

If a more suitable solution fails to materialise I wouldn't be too
worried about the RH option if I were you, since yum is just as
civilised as aptitude these days. My personal preference is for
Debian/Ubuntu but I am just as happy with RH from an admin and
application install point of view if needs be.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa