Re: [Hampshire] Can anyone recommend a MythTV tuner card?

Author: Bond, Peter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Can anyone recommend a MythTV tuner card?
> Am thinking of bulding a MythTV box over the holiday period, using an
> old Pentium 233 box.

That's a *very* low spec for this sort of thing, isn't it?

> Are there any gotchas over choosing a Tuner card? I imagine with a low
> processor, I will need one which has hardware encoding - anyone got
> one in particular to play nicely with Linux?

Digital (DVB-T? DVB-S?) or analogue?

Analogue needs an encoder - in which case definitely go for a hw one;
digital records the already encoded mpeg2 stream.

For playback of mpeg2, a P3 450 is about the minimum grunt you can get
away with (hw support helps there too - iDCT, for example).

> Also, Is it possible to encode recordings to mpeg-4 and then save them
> over to a NAS device? I don't really want the machine sat in my lounge
> whirring away (already have a PVR Humax in place) and so by saving
> them on the NAS, I should be able to watch them using the PS3.

It's possible, but your 233 will take an age to do the transcoding.
Your NAS may be more capable <G>

Novatech have a little barebones system in today's missive that might be
a better start point for a PVR -
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-945222
Intel E2200/2GB DDR2/mbd/case

Of course, DVB-T2 is just around the corner if the Freeview HD offerings
are important to you...

HTH

Peter

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the
addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in
error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and
delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption,
interception, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we
only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for
any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or
any consequences thereof.

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television, Part of the Ericsson Group.

www.tandbergtv.com