Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 10: not at all glitch free audio

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 10: not at all glitch free audio
Hi,

I have FC10, similar hardware and a similar problem. I tend to think Pulseaudio is the victim rather than the offender here.

My machine is a Dell Precision M6300 laptop which also has HDA-Intel audio 82801H ICH8 hardware (shows as a Simatel STAC9205). The symptoms I have in KDE4 are as follows:

When moving the mouse over icons in windows (particularly Dolphin) the machine becomes very busy (even with the Dolphin preview pane shut and all the window effects turned off.) The Xmms spectrum analyser freezes and if I pass over more than about 2 icons the pulseaudio output stops then restarts (I'm not hearing any bangs, pops or glitches). If I have the system monitor open the mouseovers up the CPU load by about 50%!!!

The shutdown sound on KDE "comes in bits". No glitches but not continuous.

I'm about to start a live podcast and this is a real showstopper for me.

I looked in /var/log/messages and Pulseaudio was moaning it didn't have real time rights and I should add it to polkit (couldn't work out how) or add the user to the group pulse-rt. I did the latter for both root and my user. This didn't fix the problem.

Like I said I tend to believe that this is something in KDE hogging the trough rather than Pulse being dodgy. I'm not sure which package to raise the bug against (kdebase, kdelibs, dolphin, pulse, something else?) What do you think?

Cheers,
Paul.