Re: [Hampshire] Which distro next?

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which distro next?

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 17:06 +0000, Charlie de Courcy wrote:

> Phillip Chandler said the following on 30/10/08 16:11:

> >> I've not had a problem with WPA under Ubuntu.
> >>        'sudo aptitude install wpasupplicant'
> >> and everything works fine with network-manager etc?

> >> - Charlie
> >>

> > So what sort of hardware are you guys running ? Ive got a Dell Inspiron
> > 1200, 512mb ram, Belkin F5D7010 Ver7000uk Wireless card, and seem to
> > have problems with wpa2 encryption.
> >
> > Plus under Ubuntu 7.10 I install ndiswrapper and use the net8185 driver,
> > and wpa2 works 101%.
> >

> My desktop is a custom AMD64 3200+ 2GB ram, Nvidia & Marvel Gig-E,
> Broadcom BCM4306 Wireless and all works fine.
>
> Laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M5, Core Duo, Intel 82573L Gig-E, Intel
> 3945ABG wireless.
>
> I've just upgraded and nm-applet wasn't showing here also. I added the
> following to sources:
>
>     deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main

> and changed /etc/network/interfaces to only have the following lines
> uncommented:
>
>     auto lo
>     iface lo inet loopback

> Now everything is working fine! Looks good - seems to all be running OK
> so far...
> There aren't any WPA points here - I'll check later and report if I have
> any problems at home with WPA2...

Under Debian I have to do the following from a terminal.

gedit /etc/default/ifplugd And add the following to the file:

INTERFACES="eth0"
HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="wlan0"
ARGS="-q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I"
SUSPEND_ACTION="stop"

gedit /etc/network/interfaces And add the following to the file:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# Wireless... (this section may or may not already exist)
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

gedit /etc/default/wpasupplicant And add the following to the file:

ENABLED=1
OPTIONS="-w -i wlan0 -D hostap -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

Then in terminal enter wpa_passphrase <mywirelessname> <mypassword>

gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf And replace everything with:

# WPA-PSK
network={
ssid="MY WIRELESS NAME"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
psk="VERY LONG ENCRYPTION KEY GOES HERE"
priority=4
}

Then my wpa2 wireless works, but only after installing wicd as well. So
Im confused as to why Im having wpa problems with most other distros.
But then I dont do any of the above with Ubuntu 7.10 except install wicd
and my card inf file ?????