Re: [Hampshire] Which distro next?

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which distro next?

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 15:34 +0000, Charlie de Courcy wrote:

> Phillip Chandler said the following on 30/10/08 14:55:
> >
> > (K)Ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora do seem to have a problem with wpa2 wireless.
> > Debian Lenny needs 5 mins work to get wpa.
> >
> I've not had a problem with WPA under Ubuntu.
>        'sudo aptitude install wpasupplicant'
> and everything works fine with network-manager etc?

> - Charlie

So what sort of hardware are you guys running ? Ive got a Dell Inspiron
1200, 512mb ram, Belkin F5D7010 Ver7000uk Wireless card, and seem to
have problems with wpa2 encryption.

Plus under Ubuntu 7.10 I install ndiswrapper and use the net8185 driver,
and wpa2 works 101%.

Anything from 8.04 onwards, even with wpasupplicant installed and
writing the relavent files, wpa2 just doesnt want to play ball, except
the latest Debian Lenny. Plus Debian now seems to use the rtl8185 driver
and see's my card by default, same as the latest Ubuntu, openSuse,
Fedora etc.

Ive tried both nm and wicd, and only use wicd now. The only other distro
that works out-of-the-box is Mandriva 2008 powerpack which connects with
the net-applet. Im assuming that its all down to what hardware you have.
In the sense that if the devs have the same hardware then the software /
drivers should be 100% !!! Or am I going off the track big time ?