Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl
Daniel Pope wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 03:57:42AM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
>> after several months
>> slowly picking my way through the syntax I can read it and make
>> subroutines work and play with functions, manipulate context and
>> regex's.
>
> I programmed my first functional Python scripts within hours.
>
> <insert sermon on Python here>

A few years ago I setup a Protex CGI donation page using a Perl with my
then limited Perl knowledge in a few hours.

Perl is a high level language (so is Python) therefore rather than being
made of many small similar building blocks (like C or even more basic
building blocks; assembly) it is made up of larger more complex constructs
which take longer to learn but allow fast program construction.

I needed to feel confident with the language and know the core well enough
to think strategically last week. Also I may attract a more experienced
developer in which case I need to know more than I use.

I went through the core of Perl in my spare time and believe this was time
well invested.

Cheers Damian

--
Damian L Brasher