Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny + Firefox 2.0.0.17 + PrefbarCor…

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Phillip Chandler
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny + Firefox 2.0.0.17 + PrefbarCorrection to first email.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 at 01:16:22PM +0100, Phillip Chandler wrote:

> > Why, what is wrong with Iceweasel? it's just Firefox without the
> > Mozilla branding and Firefox name. It works fine for me with
> > normal Firefox add-ons. Other than a logo you wouldn't know you
> > you were not using Firefox.
> >

> Unfortunately whether I use Iceweasel or firefox, the same problem
> happens. And as you say, iceweasel is just firefox without the branding.
> But this doesnt mean that a problem in firefox would also not work in
> iceweasel.

I suspect it's a bug in the add-on rather in firethingy. I've had
one that crashed X!

> My non technical idea is that lenny (and iceweasel) are done so that
> they both work well together, without the MS integration of win xp & IE,
> whereas they have taken ff and taken out all the branding and maybe
> changed a few other things, which could effectively make it not work so
> well under lenny, but iceweasel does.

It should just work, but you installing a 3rd-party add-on could
break it. I've had a nice app that broke things, they do exisit
and can cause problems. I would not assue it's you or your browser
thats at fault it could be the extra bit you added in.

> But not being as technical as you chaps, Im only guessing because of
> whats happened. Regardless of what browser ver 2.x I have, prefbar
> doesnt work 100%, which under ubuntu & ff 2.0.17 works great.
>
> So just wanting to see if there was some switch I needed to change, or
> add something to about:config etc.

That's could be a place to look, but be careful you can seriously
screw things up!

I'd do a google search for the add-on and the bug description you
have and see if anyone else has seen it first though.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
    -- John Lennon