Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny + Firefox 2.0.0.17 +PrefbarCorr…

Author: Benjamin M. A'Lee
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny + Firefox 2.0.0.17 +PrefbarCorrection to first email.
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:04:00PM +0100, Bond, Peter wrote:
> > Why, what is wrong with Iceweasel? it's just Firefox without the
> > Mozilla branding and Firefox name. It works fine for me with
> > normal Firefox add-ons. Other than a logo you wouldn't know you
> > you were not using Firefox.
>
> Up until the point that your bank strops about the useragent coming from
> an unsupported browser. Easy enough to fix, but irritating and
> completely unwarranted IMO.

Except Debian had a choice between rebrand Firefox, abandon the
principles it's been working on for over a decade, or abandon Firefox.
Rebranding was considered to be by far the better option, for obvious
reasons. If you disapprove, complain to Mozilla: out of all the free
software with a trademarked name/logo, Mozilla is the only one that
causes problems.

> Also - how well is iceweasel tracking the Firefox releases?

Debian has a new version of Iceweasel just as quickly as it would have a
new version of Firefox (i.e. it can lag behind the actual release by a
couple of days, but so can other things that aren't rebranded).

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@???
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0