Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement

Author: Charlie de Courcy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement
There's a pretty good forum over at http://aspireoneuser.com/forum
(registration enables search)

I'm absolutely chuffed with my AA1. Though a few criticisms of the
default Linpus:

1) tun.ko module missing (Required for VPNC, which although installed
was missing this vital component!)
       -Manually compiled, added with depmod and 'modprobe tun' added to
rc.local
2) Hostname is set to 'localhost' by rc.5 on each boot
       -Commented out lots of lines, set hostname in rc.5 and added a
loopback into /etc/hosts
3) I wanted to be able to switch to the default XFCE desktop desktop
       -Handy script added as taskbar button (added with 'xfce4-panel -a')
4) man pages not installed by default!
5) Aesthetics - partly because It's crafted to look like windows!!
       -Changed window manager settings and thoroughly edited
~/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml , subsequent
/usr/share/application descriptions to remove M$ 'My xxxxx' from
everything (Pet peeve!)
6) Bios password would only accept a password typed in CAPS! I set a
password and had a hairy locked-out moment!
       -Bios flash uprade fixed this, though disabled manual fan control.
7) Rightclick menu should be enabled by default (xfce-setting-show)
8) Bluetooth modules not present
       -Next task! It's a shame IMHO not to see bluetooth onboard.

Overall very pleased though once all these issues were addressed. I've
heard Mandriva is working superbly but I would rather tweak the current
setup so I don't lose the the c10 second boot time!

Charlie