Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement
Damian Brasher wrote:
> Including a quiet fan hack, the only fault as far as I'm concerned. A
> battery upgrade will be made available from Acer (almost certainly from
> 3rd party dealers) and will take the battery life from about 2 to 4 hours
> I believe. There is a Screenshot of Ubuntu Netbook Re-mix at the top of
> the page. I was over at a friends house Friday as he installed Ubuntu on
> his Asus EEE. Impressively smooth MS XP preparation tool and simple with a
> 4G data-stick but I'll stick to Linpus as I'm a Fedora fan, really like
> XFCE and all the hardware functions are implemented.

Hi Damian,

I looked into swapping Linpus out for Ubuntu on my son's Acer One and
really couldn't see what the benefits were given that Linpus has been
designed to work with the Acer One and that the Ubuntu build is far from
complete or perfect in that regard.

Once you enable the xfce menu from right-click on the desktop Linpus is
as versatile as Ubuntu IMHO. I did put the latest version of Opera on it
and that's quite nice, especially since I have added that in to the xfce
menu to make it a little more accessible - I haven't discovered how to
hack the main menu yet.

The main thing is that Sammy is very pleased with it and it certainly
gets some use. I'd love one but really can't justify the expense!

Sean