Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops
I have to say in my best Obi Wan Kenobi voice, "this may not be the
laptop you are looking for". If you don't think of it as a laptop and
think of it as an appliance then you might end up happy. The processor
is fairly quick for the 335 Mhz clock speed, and it does have Abiword
and Gnumeric and Firefox 2.0.14. The GUI is locked down pretty tight, I
have not been able to get to a command line yet. Because it is not X86
it does not have a traditional BIOS or bootloader. Changing the software
on it to something sensible probably requires a JTAG board or something
like that. It might not be possible to reflash the production units at all.
A much better option IMHO is to go down to a Carphone Warehouse store
and check out the Elonex Webbook. This has Ubuntu Linux pre installed
and I helped put it there :-) It has a Via C7 processor running at
1.6Ghz, 512MB ram and an 80GB hard drive. The screen size is 1024x600
which is very usable for a small laptop.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55