Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops
It is widely advertised as a 400Mhz processor, even by Elonex, but it
isn't. On MIPS architecture BogoMIPS are the same as Mhz and it is doing
335.05 bogoMIPS.

/proc/cpuinfo

system type : JzRISC
processor : 0
cpu model : V4.15
BogoMIPS : 335.05
wait instruction : yes
microsecond timers : yes
tlb_entries : 32
extra interrupt vector : yes
hardware watchpoint : yes
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available

It implements the MIPS instruction set except for the floating point
unit, but it is not a MIPS processor made by MIPS Inc. it is an Xburst
processor made by Ingenic
http://www.ingenic.cn/eng/productServ/XBurst/pfCustomPage.aspx in the
same way that an AMD processor is not an Intel processor. There is a
custom toolchain to compile stuff for it in theory. In practice I can't
do a damn thing with it as I can't get to a console. I think that you
will be able to get the same thing from elsewhere for about £50 cheaper
than the Novatech in the not too distant future.

Any suggestions on how to reflash it with something like a Debian for
MIPS would be gratefully received.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55