Re: [Hampshire] Rsync question

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Rsync question
On Tuesday 24 June 2008 22:55:00 Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:40:21PM +0100, Tim wrote:
> > Ok the kernel log(1) is full of errors, not that I can make much out of
> > it. Is it worth running fsck on the disk to see if it comes up with any
> > errors??
>
>    Possibly, but make sure you have backups of the data on some other
> device first. There's a good chance that you'll end up screwing up the
> filesystem even more by running fsck.

>    It's also quite likely that the device needs replacement. You could
> also try running badblocks on the device:

> # umount /dev/sdc1
> # badblocks -w /dev/sdc
>
>    WARNING! This will destroy all of the data on the disk, but it will
> tell you how many bad blocks you have on the disk. If it's non-zero,
> you should ditch the device, as it's accumulated enough physically
> damaged blocks that it can't replace them all. From this point
> onwards, damaged blocks *will* cause data loss, so it's really not
> worth your while using the device.

> > (1) http://www.windfreaks.co.uk/myimages/kern.log
>
>    Hugo.

Well I started Hugo command at about 7-00pm last night, its is still running
now (4-24am, yes its early), does it normally takes this long or do we assume
the disk is dead (its a 500gb disk)??

Tim

GET FREE 5GB EMAIL - Check out spam free email with many cool features!
Visit http://www.inbox.com/email to find out more!