Re: [Hampshire] Rsync question

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Rsync question
Tim wrote:

> Well I started Hugo command at about 7-00pm last night, its is still
> running
> now (4-24am, yes its early), does it normally takes this long or do we
> assume
> the disk is dead (its a 500gb disk)??

I'm wondering how large your FAT32 disk partition is, I believe the
maximum size is about 32G unless there are some new extensions
implemented?

Tim wrote Monday 23rd June:

>There is a mass of errors at the start regarding read only files, but to

me they look like some form of temp files.

I meant to say aslo, [*] rsync creates a temporary file on the reciever
called the basis. Non matching data is built from this block-wise,
checksummed (on fail a second and final retry initiated) permissions set,
time set then renamed. If there are read permission problems then
complaints in the log will be recorded.

[*] http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/how-rsync-works.html

The above link is an interesting read.

Damian L Brasher