Re: [Hampshire] Resurrecting a dead PC

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Resurrecting a dead PC
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 07:47:56 +0100 (+0100), Cayenne-uk wrote:
> This is the worst possible time for the kids' PC to die - just as I'm about
> to go away for a few weeks!! Grr!
> Anyway, I am not sure what the faulty component would be, so I have once
> again turned to the trusty group!
>
> The problem is that nothing at all happens when the power on button is
> pressed. Looking at the Motherboard, it has a red led lit up, so presumably
> it isn't the power supply. My guess is that somehow the MB has got frazzled.
> I suppose it could be that the CPU is dead, which I'm placing a close
> second. Any second opinions would be gratefully received.

These days the PSU talks to the mobo and if it's not happy it won't
start. I don't think a lack of CPU will stop it starting, so I don't
believe it's a broken CPU.

I'd suspect motherboard or PSU. Easiest thing is to find someone with
a suitable PSU (since there are 20, 20+4, etc etc - and then Dell
PSUs where the plugs are the same but they are wired differently).

PSU can't be entirely dead, but it might be sick. I can't remember
what it was for me when I had this problem.

Unplugging all components is certainly not a bad plan as the previous
poster suggested though it is hassle and less likely to help.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org