Re: [Hampshire] Resurrecting a dead PC

Author: Glenn Korbey
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Resurrecting a dead PC
On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 07:47 +0100, Cayenne-uk wrote:
> This is the worst possible time for the kids' PC to die - just as I'm
> about to go away for a few weeks!! Grr!
> Anyway, I am not sure what the faulty component would be, so I have
> once again turned to the trusty group!
>
> The problem is that nothing at all happens when the power on button is
> pressed. Looking at the Motherboard, it has a red led lit up, so
> presumably it isn't the power supply. My guess is that somehow the MB
> has got frazzled. I suppose it could be that the CPU is dead, which
> I'm placing a close second. Any second opinions would be gratefully
> received.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kelvin
> --

Could also be just loose wiring/expansion cards. I've had a PC 'die' on
me before, and there was nothing actually wrong with it. I just pulled
out all the cards, the cpu, the ram, the wires from the connections and
gave everything a blast of air or two to remove any dust etc, put it all
back together and it worked fine for another 3 years until the little
'un spilled milk all over it (boom)
Worth checking it all before replacing anything at any rate :)