Re: [Hampshire] basic job costing / call charging / support …

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] basic job costing / call charging / support logging system needed / project costing
** Ed Beckmann - gmail <edward.beckmann@???> [2008-04-08 17:53]:
> I'm looking for a very basic system to log time and produce reports I
> can charge from. I would deal with up to 4 different projects in any
> day, deal with up to 50 customers and maybe 100 projects. All I want to
> do is record time, what was done, what chunk of a project it referred to.
>
> At the end of a month I want to report on what time I spent for whom,
> then bill them!
>
> Job or cal logging systems I have seen seem an overkill for me. I
> prefer standalone but do have Apache / php/ sql running.
>
> There must be hundreds of wheels invented already, and I probably need
> the simplest one.
>

> Looked at gnucash, kmymoney, linux ledger, sql ledger.

** end quote [Ed Beckmann - gmail]

By the sounds of it something like RT from Best Practical would be over
kill by an order of magnitude, and I'm not sure as it ties directly into
any form of invoicing system. I'm trying very hard to think of a PHP
sytem I came across a while ago that was similar but simpler, although
still very much on the call management/logging rather than invoicing
side of things.

Thinking along the financial lines instead of recording time spent you
may like to look at:

http://www.simpleinvoices.org/

or if you're happy with a low cost proprietary/commercial offering:

http://www.accountz.com/

This last one got a decent, if brief, write up in a recent Linux Format.
If you are thinking this may be of use I'll recommend clicking the
Special Offers link and supplying your details. Based on my experience
(which is a statistically insignificant sample size of one, but I
suspect is likely typical even so), you'll probably get an email through
a few days later with a discount code.

I'm as yet undecided, and not being able to try out Accountz doesn't
help (although they do offer a refund if you decide it isn't suitable
within 2 weeks - which still leaves the hassle and postage costs, but is
better than some). They also give no details of what distributions are
supported or what packaging formats it is supplied in.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: