Re: [Hampshire] Mounting a USB drive

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mounting a USB drive
> sda-d are fixed hdds and I'm expecting the usb drive to get sde.

"lspci -v" (as root) might tell you something about what the USB subsystem
thinks it's doing...

> To answer Richards question; yes the kernel has usb stuff compiled in.

*Compiled in* or built as a module?

lsmod might throw some light on things...

> I really hope it's not a dead drive :-(

If it were a dead drive, I'd expect to see at least /dev/sde; if it were a
trashed interface, I wouldn't expect to see anything at all. It *might* be
an interface that is mis-reporting itself, but I suspect a kernel module
has become unloaded...

Vic.