Re: [Hampshire] Website Compatibility

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Website Compatibility

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x582c6100.hantslug.org.uk.26496': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Mar 26 12:16:39 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:58:22AM +0000, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> A friend has just been informed from a "help" desk that she cannot make an
> on-line booking because the website is "only compatible" (sic) with Internet
> Explorer.
>
> Can this be true? How?

Yes, it can be true, although the authors of the site do have to
try quite hard to make it so.

Some site authors decide that they know best, and cripple an
otherwise perfectly healthy site by checking the User Agent string
provided by your browser and refusing to work unless it's
"supported". You can fix this by telling your browser to lie about its
UA string (there's plugins for Firefox/Mozilla; I believe Opera can do
it too).

Some site authors decide to use such complex and involved (or just
plain wrong) Javascript on their site that the buttons don't work
properly. Finally, some sites use things like ActiveX controls, which
will only run under Windows.

These latter two cases, there's not much you can do about it except
complain to the webmaster and the sales director, pointing out that
they've lost a sale because they haven't bothered following open
published standards, or testing on alternative browsers, and would
they like to consider how many other sales they're losing over this
issue?

Hugo.

   --- To an Englishman, 100 miles is a long way;  to an American, ---
                        100 years is a long time.