[Hampshire] [HARDWARE] Free Kit to a Good Home

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] Free Kit to a Good Home

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x578eb100.hantslug.org.uk.27627': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 23 19:16:30 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

I recently got a shiny new AMD64x2 box and as a result I now have one antique
Compaq Deskpro surplus to requirements. Additionally I have also decided to
dispose of my old Dell desktop system. Both are of a similar vintage - i.e.
antique.

Compaq:
Intel Pentium II 233
384 MiB RAM
three IDE hard disks: ~ 2.5, 3, 4 GiB
one slot-loading CD-ROM (?8/12x speed)
Matrox AGP (shared graphics), will drive 1024x768 (if you are mad)
Intel e100 NIC
Debian Sarge

Dell
Intel Pentium Pro 200
128 MiB RAM
Mylex/Buslogic SCSI Controller
one IDE hard disk ~3 GiB
one SCSI hard disk ~4 GiB
Plextor 32x SCSI CD-ROM
Plextor 4x SCSI CD-R (yes that's NOT a CD-RW or DVD unit)
Iomega 100 MiB Zip drive (may or may not work
1.4 MiB floppy drive
Matrox Millenium 4 MiB PCI graphics will drive 1280x1024 at a pinch
Netgear NIC
Debian SID

Neither are really suited for desktop use for anyone unless you run DSL (or
something similar) but they may perfect home server or test systems. I'd be
willing to set either up with any Debian-like distro, otherwise they would
come blank.

They should be available by the time of the next meeting.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I guess that, if you're in Microsoft's shoes, it makes sense. If you
can't write software or protocols that can stably walk and chew gum,
program in a limit that prevents the user from telling it to do so.
-- Jonathan Patschke, on limitations in Active Directory