Re: [Hampshire] making simple videos - idiots guide wanted

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: edward.beckmann, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] making simple videos - idiots guide wanted
On Saturday 15 Mar 2008, ed wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience in making simple videos and burning to
> DVD or video cd?

Yes, a little.

> My wife is doing some sports stuff, for which short video
> assessments need to be submitted. We used to post real videos, but
> the video recorder has died and we have access to a Digital
> camcorder so I want to edit and burn to smaller disks. I have both
> DVD and CD writers on my ubuntu box, plus Kino and pitvi editor
> installed.
>
> Having looked at a few articles on wikipedia etc. DVDs seem very
> complex to burn, and all we need iniitally are some 20 - 30 min
> clips on a disk. Can anyone point me to a simple step-by-step way
> of going from camera - file - CD?

The trouble is that there are so many different formats and each one
has its own particular issues. For example I have on my TiddlyWiki[1]
details on how to transfer recordings from my DVB recorder onto a DVD
and also how to transfer recordings from one particular digital video
camera to SVCD. I put a fair bit of that info onto the Hants LUG wiki
too.

The main thing I learnt is that qdvdauthor is a good place to start,
but that you have to be pretty lucky with your choice of formats not
to need mplex or transcode somewhere in the tool chain. I also had to
learn far more than I wanted to know about aspect ratios!

Search for dvd or svcd in my wiki[1] and you'll catch most of it.

HTH, Peter

[1] http://www.salisburys.net/PetersNotes-TW.html