[Hampshire] making simple videos - idiots guide wanted

Author: ed
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] making simple videos - idiots guide wanted
Hi

Does anyone have experience in making simple videos and burning to DVD
or video cd?

My wife is doing some sports stuff, for which short video assessments
need to be submitted. We used to post real videos, but the video
recorder has died and we have access to a Digital camcorder so I want to
edit and burn to smaller disks. I have both DVD and CD writers on my
ubuntu box, plus Kino and pitvi editor installed.

Having looked at a few articles on wikipedia etc. DVDs seem very complex
to burn, and all we need iniitally are some 20 - 30 min clips on a disk.
Can anyone point me to a simple step-by-step way of going from camera -
file - CD?

I want to learn about DVD menus and so on eventually, so we can burn
archives of progress, but currently just need to send off simple visible
clips on cheap CDs.

I'm happy to create a muppets guide as I learn, that can be shared by
all.

Many thanks in advance

Ed